Ideal walk for the day off: easy and relaxing. Paths through the wood, stones covered by moss, amazing view over Alps, sea and charming villages of Slovenia.
Today we have unusually warm and sunny day – ideally to hike on the mountain Monte Lanaro. It is the third highest mountain in Trieste province that is the part of the same name nature reserve. The track is easy; you don’t have to climb a lot.
There are no any trattoria or restaurant on the route, that’s why it is better to have something to eat. We usually take nuts, fruits (apples, banana), tarallini (traditional Italian snack). As an option you can buy a sandwich in any supermarket or bakery (in Italian – panetteria ).
As we did this track in winter, even if it was Italian winter 🙂 we took the thermos with hot aromatic tea.
- Download the map of Italy. I use the application Mapy.cz. To my mind, it is one of the best applications contained maps with a lot of hiking and cycle routs and sightseeing information.
- Buy bus tickets. You can find them in Tabaccheria, newsstand or bar.
You should take the bus #42 () to arrive to Prosecco, where to change for the bus #46 that will bring you to Municipality of Sgonico.
Several hiking trails lead to Monte Lanaro. Each one is beautiful in its own way, so you can choose any. Getting lost is almost impossible. But don’t forget to check with the map from time to time 🙂
On the map I marked the bus stop in Sgonico (1), Monte Lanaro (2) and the beginning of the trail we chose.
Hiking trails are marked by red and white stripes (you can find these signs at trees, on stones and on posts). Use them as additional reference point.
At the initial point of our route there is an Osmiza. In case if you want to have a rest and try homemade Italian cheese and prosciutto with homemade wine of course 🙂 But keep in mind that Osmiza is closed during autumn – winter season.
The route to Monte Lanaro passes mainly in the forest, where the air is so fresh.
After reaching Monte Lanaro you can not miss a viewing point with amazing view over Alps, sea and charming villages of Slovenia. Alps are stunning. In winter, when the visibility is good, it is seen snow-capped picks of the main Slovenian mountain – Triglav.
It is an ideal place to organize small picnic.
- Come back to Sgonico (1) with the same route, take the bus #46; after reaching Prosecco, change for the bus #42 to reach Trieste city center.
- Descend to the borough Col (2) and take the bus №42 to reach Trieste.
- Descend to Rupinpiccolo (3) and take the bus №42 to reach Trieste.
- Descend to the small town Opicina (4), from where you can reach Trieste by busses №2 or №4.
This time we chose the last option. It was a long way and we felt a bit tired after, but it was fully compensated by beautiful woodland scenery, sunset you could see through the branches, and persimmon trees.
Having climbed down, we could not resist taking a cup of hot chocolate at one of local bars Caffè Vatta, afterwards, tired but satisfied, we came back to Trieste.